South Broward Drainage District was created in 1927
by the Florida Legislature out of a portion of the Napoleon B. Broward
Drainage District as an independent special taxing District.
Special districts are created to meet public demand for the provision
of specialized services. Originally called the Hollywood Reclamation
District, it was established to reclaim the Everglades for land
use, primarily agricultural. Through time, progress, land use changes
and development, the Hollywood Reclamation District in 1986 was
renamed the South Broward Drainage District, the largest independent
district in Broward County. Please review
the South Broward Drainage District Charter.